Feed/Updates Option?

On the patron homepage there is a “Feed” that currently reads “Updates Coming Soon”. Where do I update this feed? I can’t find it anywhere in the control room.

The feed will update whenever patrons perform an action that earns them points. Adventures, Badges, and Challenges can all earn points. Unfortunately it just shows “Updates coming soon” until patrons perform actions that earn points.

Here’s a sample of the feed from our training instance:

Hmm…that’s strange then. Because I have been testing out the site and earning badges, but nothing is coming up in the feed.

Hmm, are these badges that also award points? The trigger for the feed is points earned so badges that don’t earn points won’t trigger it. I can’t think of what else might be causing it to not work.

You could hit F12 or open the developer tools on your browser and see if there are any JavaScript errors in the console - the Feed and the Status with numbers on the right both update using JavaScript (so they should update while you are sitting on that page) and if there are any problems they might show up in the JavaScript console.

Can you tell me what I’m looking for? This is what it looks like when I hit F12

If you select that “console” tab and then refresh the page and wait a bit do any errors come up?

No, nothing seems to come up. Am I supposed to select another tab under that. I see options for “Net, “CSS”, “JS”, ect…

Kit Coates
Youth Services Manager, Cedar Park Public Library
550 Discovery Blvd.
Cedar Park, TX 78613
(512) 401-5634

Hmm. I’m not sure what it is. I know I made changes to the feed recently that made it a lot more robust about displaying accurate data. I hate to be that guy but maybe upgrading to the latest version would help. :frowning:

Well, since it doesn’t seem to be working for us, is there a way to remove it? I’m hesitant to upgrade because we just did and I got everything set up just right.

Kit Coates
Youth Services Manager, Cedar Park Public Library
550 Discovery Blvd.
Cedar Park, TX 78613
(512) 401-5634

I totally understand your hesitation.

You can remove the feed by editing Dashboard.aspx and removing this line:

<cc:Feed runat="server" ID="Feed" />

Is there a way to have the feed trigger for badges awarded without points attached? I’d like to keep points only for minutes of reading time (since we use minutes for our prize levels).

I figured out a way to do this. I added 1 point to an event, saved, then removed the point, saved event again. This triggers the Feed to update without awarding any points. This is therefore more of a bug, but it works to do exactly what I wanted!

I’m glad you figured out a workaround here. We will work to improve the feed for next year and hopefully make it a little more configurable as to what is displayed.