Error message displays when sending test email

Dear Colleagues,

Email on our GRA system has never worked from the beginning. After reading the post found at http://forum.greatreadingadventure.com/t/change-email-settings-after-initial-setup-in-v3/272, we then reconfigured the email section of the Web.config file, and then tested the system using the “Test Email” feature. Unfortunately, the “Test Email” feature displays the following error message:

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
at GRA.Communications.EmailService.SendEmail(String fromAddress, String toAddress, String subject, String body) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpReplyReaderFactory.ProcessRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 read, Boolean readLine)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpReplyReaderFactory.ReadLines(SmtpReplyReader caller, Boolean oneLine)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpReplyReaderFactory.ReadLine(SmtpReplyReader caller)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.GetConnection(ServicePoint servicePoint)

Please help us fix/debug this problem.

Thank you,

Christopher

Bumping this post to the top of the list in an effort to get a reply to it.

Thanks,

Christopher

@tubaclarinet Can you post some screenshots of what you’re seeing and your web.config file?

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you on this.

As Caris says seeing the mail configuration section of your Web.config would help - you can private message it to me if you don’t want to post it. To me this indicates that the software cannot connect to the mail server that is configured.

I also get an error message when trying to send a test email to myself at emiles@cityofcamas.us.

Here is the text of the error message:

An error occurred sending the test email: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.54 SMTP; Unable to relay recipient in non-accepted domain
Detailed error:
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, Boolean allowUnicode, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
at GRA.Communications.EmailService.SendEmail(String fromAddress, String toAddress, String subject, String body)

Hi @ellen.miles

The mail server that you have configured is not accepting email that’s being sent to @cityofcamas.us as sent by the server you are running the GRA from. Is that mail server set up by your provider or is that something your IT department has configured? Probably a configuration change will need to be made on the mail server in order to get this working. Alternately - there are some free mail services you can configure to accept and forward mail.

I see. My library (Camas Public Library) is just one small building, so Spokane Public Library is hosting us on their servers. Is that why it isn’t recognizing my email address?

Hey @carisomalley why won’t you forward Ellen’s email? :wink: