Error Creating Database with SQL Server Management Studio

I’m having trouble with step one of the installation guide. When I open SQL Server Management Studio, it does not take my log in information. After several workarounds, I have managed to get it to accept that I am trying to connect to a real database, but I now have the error:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 11004)

The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

Extensive google searching, sending a help ticket to the server hosting company, and asking our city IT guy has not resolved the problem. I’m really hoping someone on here knows what to do, because everyone is really excited to use the Great Reading Adventure!

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give me.

Kait Goodwin

That particular error could mean a few things. It most likely means that the SQL Server you are trying to connect to is either not listening on the default port (1433) or there’s a firewall blocking your access from wherever you are to port 1433 on that server.

If the hosting company allows you to configure/access your SQL Server through some sort of Web interface you might be able to get things working through that route.